This is it. You've given it serious thought, and you're ready to adopt. You're committed to giving a new family for life to one of our lovely furry friends who are just waiting for it. That's great!
Adopting a cat or a dog is indeed a long-term commitment. Their life expectancy can vary from 10 to 15 years (human years)! It is therefore essential to make sure that you will not only be able to afford the financial investment but that you will also be able to offer this new companion a living environment that will meet its physical, intellectual, and emotional needs.
Learn more about adoption, responsible breeders, stores, and services you should know about before you proceed. This article will get you started: Before you get a dog... | Humane Canada
Are you really ready? Follow these steps to adopt a pet with us.
Please note that all our adoptions are by appointment only.
- Browse the adoption profiles of our animals (cats, dogs or small animals).
- If one of our residents catches your eye, fill out the short adoption interest form, making sure to include the animal's name and ID number in the designated field. The form will help us get to know you and aim for the perfect match with the animal.
- If your profile corresponds to the one sought for the animal, our team will contact you to make an appointment for an adoption meeting. All of our adoptions are by appointment only. Appointments will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis, but based on the needs of the animal. No reservations or waiting lists will be accepted.
- At your adoption appointment, you will have the opportunity to meet the animal and discuss with our counselors the animal, its needs, and the adjustments that need to be made to welcome it into your home safely.
For cats and dogs, the adoption fee includes spay/neuter surgery, microchip implantation, initial basic vaccinations, an anti-parasite treatment, and a bag of Royal Canin food.
- 6 months and less: $220
- 7 months and more: $125
- Humanitarian adoption: $75
- 6 months and less: $485
- 7 months and more: $395
- Humanitarian adoption: $285
Small animals (rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.): $10 in most cases.
If you have any other questions or need help, please contact us at or 819 243-2004 ext. 22.
Not quite ready to adopt? You can still help our animals - make a donation now or become a foster family!